Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Style of "The Hours"



I loveeee that coat. Love the matching orange tones in the hat wreath, earrings, and necklace.

This has a kind of eerie Victorian spell. The little girl is wearing fairy wings, though you can't see them clearly. I have the score from this scene on my Ipod - downright shiver-inducing.


Possibly my favorite. Oh, to own a cream coat. A faraway dream for the owner of 3-4 damaged sweaters.

The gloves!

Adding to the parallel between Clarissa and Virginia Woolf's life, Meryl Streep wears an almost identical coat with orange drop earrings. Not so crazy about Julianne Moore's clothes in the movie, so I'll leave them out (big florals, ugh).


LOVE this sweater worn by Claire Danes.

The costume designer here is Ann Roth, who is currently nearly 80 years old! and who started out with contemp (Midnight Cowboy!) but has lent her eye to mostly period fare as of late from The English Patient to Mamma Mia! and most recently, Julie and Julia. With some M. Night Shyamalan movies in the mix.

Roth has repeat credits with Meryl Streep, having dressed the grand woman in 11 movies now. Coincidence or power backing? In second place is Nicole Kidman, who she's worked with 4 times, all of them in the last decade.


Matt Damon's swimming trunks are a stroke of genius.

Roth's inclination towards head wreaths (in The Hours, Miranda Richardson also wears a garden wreath at one point while playing with her sons), virgin-white dresses and pops of color. Though the trademark pink wig of Natalie Portman's Alice might not have been her idea originally - that kind of thing feels big enough to have been mentioned in the script.

2 comments:

  1. I've never realized this woman was behind such subtly genius costuming. It really is all in the details for her. I never saw "The Hours," but its on my list. "Evening" was an atrocious melodramatic movie, however, the costuming was nice.

    I love Coraline. Mostly because I'm a Neil Gaiman geek, but I thought the film itself had some really innovative skilled animation. I'm kind of annoyed "Up" won best animated feature last year because both Coraline & Fantastic Mr. Fox had much more unique and challenging animation. I will admit, Coraline seems a bit too scary for little kids, funny how that is true of a lot of recent kids movies (Fox being another one).

    Oh and thanks for replying to my comments. I realized I used the words "keen" and "winsome" a bit too often in those remarks haha. Oh and I'm not like a mega Taylor Lautner fan or anything, although I do find him charming. At the end of the day, Twilight is my guiltiest of guilty pleasures and nothing more. I recognize that its terrible, but every so often I like really melodramatic romantic fantasy haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't be so against twilight - admission: i used to love it - and then it became a worldwide phenomenon, girls started losing their minds, and i got pissed. Have you seen the "My Life is Twilight" website? There. That's exactly why. It's absolutely pathetic that so many girls of our age REVERE the books, movies, actors, and characters. They hold up Bella and Edward's extremely questionable relationship as the actual IDEAL of love.

    Twilight is a guilty pleasure indeed - exactly! It's fun, melodramatic, a bit trashy, not very well-written, and lots of fun to talk about. But I absolutely get incensed whenever I'm around people who think that Twilight actually qualifies as great and legitimate literature. Twi-tards, I call them.

    For instance, have you seen the new Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights covers? They've both been Twilight-fied (their covers changed to mimick the black-and-red symbolism of the Twilight books). I love both of these books so much, and I pretty much flipped out.

    Coraline is scary, but if you've ever rewatched any old kids' movies, you've probably noticed that there is an amazing amount of inappropriate content in the old movies. I don't know about you, but I've lost track of the number of times when I've rewatched a kid's movie and wondered, "geez, that was scary/totally inappropriate/scandalous!" A bit of fright isn't too bad for kids, I think :)

    ReplyDelete