Saturday, March 26, 2011

Older = Sentimental?

Saw Jane Eyre for the second time today and it was thankfully quiet the whole way through, though I did miss the raucous enthusiasm of the first screening. No one burst into applause or cheering when Jane and Rochester kissed, and no one said "YOU GO GIRL!" A bit disappointing, I must admit.

There were a lot of elderly couples here, and I noticed after the screening that about a third of them remained in their seats, and I was intensely curious to find out what they were thinking. Did they just usually sit there because they usually liked to ponder the movie they had just watched, or had the movie touched them so intensely that that they were having some serious flashbacks and rushes of sentimentalism?

I'm growing more sentimental as I'm getting older, and it's worrying me a lot. And not just "more sensitive to the cares of the world" or anything productive. I'm listening to the Phantom of the Opera, something I once couldn't abide for its unbearable cheesiness, a LOT recently. I can't stop feeling touched when I listen to "That's All I Ask of You" or "The Music of the Night". I sigh when Christine sings "Say you love me" and Raoul passionately bellows (but tenderly!) "you know I do.....". I cried the other night when I re-read Wuthering Heights. I'm afraid that I'm becoming an incurable romantic, something I disdained from my younger days as a tomboy to high school, when I advised my English class to pick husbands that could provide them with alimony. I think I need help.



No comments:

Post a Comment